What a personal grocery shopper does
A personal grocery shopper does exactly what it sounds like – they go grocery shopping for people. This is a business opportunity that not only has a large demand but also has room to specialize and grow.
Who hires personal grocery shoppers?
There are two main groups of people who hire personal grocery shoppers. The first are people who just don’t have the time. Grocery shopping on a good day can take two hours. With children, multi-income families and all of the responsibilities and time constraints that go along with this busy lifestyle, some people would love to hire a pro to manage this task.
The other group of people who hire personal grocery shoppers are those who are homebound or have difficulty getting out. We’re talking about the elderly and the handicapped.
How can you specialize?
Depending on how you position your business, you can offer more than grocery shopping. You can offer meal planning, budget grocery shopping, and even specialize in nutritional needs or diets. You can be the person who not only plans the week’s menu for the family but also shops for it.
How do you market your business?
There are a number of ways to market your business. Most of them occur offline because your clientele will be local people.
* Hand out business cards at the grocery store
* Advertise in local publications
* Hand out business cards at church
* List your services in craigslist.org.
* Post your business card in the community board area.
* Hand out your business card at your community center or recreational center.
* Visit assisted living communities to see if you can leave a brochure
What you need to get started
* A car with license, insurance and registration
* A means of communicating with clients. Most people may prefer to contact you by telephone
* Marketing materials
* Good communication skills and a winning attitude. A good relationship with your clients will build your business faster than any other marketing strategy
* A calculator or a good head for numbers because you’ll need to make sure you stay within your client’s budget
* Good organizational skills
Becoming a personal grocery shopper solves problems for others and it lets you be your own boss. For many, it doesn’t get better than that. Take a look around your community. Could people use your services? If so, print up those brochures and get started building your personal grocery shopping business today.